About This Career
Swampers assist operators and other crew members with a variety of manual labour-related tasks, including the set-up and pull-down of rigs and equipment, pre- and post-trip inspections and maintaining an orderly and safe job site.
Swampers require physical strength and stamina to enable handling light and heavy equipment and assist in the use of tools and other devices. Swampers interact with Drilling and Service Rig Operators, as well as other labourers on site.
Education: There are no specific educational requirements, however progressive experience is required to move up to more senior operating positions. A high school diploma may be required at the more senior levels.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in exploration and production, oil sands, oil and gas services sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Oil Field Labourer, Truck Driver, Rig Helper
- Construction Craft Worker
- Drilling and Service Rig Labourer
- Sales Consultant
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths associated with this occupation:
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Roughneck, service rig - oil field services
Posted on Feb 05 2018
By hurley well service ltdAlbright Dependant upon experience
Service rig roughneck - oil field services
Posted on Jan 08 2018
By global well servicing ltd.Drayton valley Dependant upon experience
Mild Physical Activity
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Primary metal manufacturing
- Rail transportation
- Truck transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Warehousing and storage
- Wood product manufacturing
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- A Class 5 driver’s license is required.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test