About This Career
Seismic Labourers assist in various aspects in the four phases of seismic operations: surveying, line clearing, seismic drilling and data acquisition and recording. They are also instrumental in supporting more specialized positions on the crews. This occupation is considered an entry-level position. Seismic Labourers often develop on-the-job skills and are provided training that allows for movement into higher skilled or more responsible positions.
The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Chainer's Assistants help measure, map and locate drilling locations.
- Surveyor's Assistants help collect and process survey readings.
- Locator's Assistants help find and document all buried utilities.
- Packers clear debris from seismic lines and help move equipment.
- Driller's Helpers assist with drilling holes and placing charges.
- Lineworkers place, remove, load and unload all seismic recording equipment.
Education: A high school diploma is preferred by employers but not necessary.
Employment: This occupation works in both onshore and offshore environments and is employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Surveyor’s Helper and Assistant, Locator’s Helper and Assistant, Driller’s Helper and Assistant, Packer, Jug Stomper, Bag Runner
- Chainsaw Buckers or Fallers
- Field Equipment Coordinators
- GPS Surveyors or Rovers
- Seismic Drillers
- Seismic Observers
- Shooters or Blasters
- Utilities Locators
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Roughneck, service rig - oil field services
Posted on Feb 05 2018
By hurley well service ltdAlbright Dependant upon experience
Service rig roughneck - oil field services
Posted on Jan 08 2018
By global well servicing ltd.Drayton valley Dependant upon experience
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Oil and gas services
- Grade 10
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- A valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record may be required, depending on the company and role
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical assessment and drug test