About This Career
Industrial Engineering Technologists design plant layouts and production facilities, develop and carry out industrial health, safety and fire prevention plans and programs, and conduct production, inventory and quality assurance programs. They also develop applications using computer-assisted drafting (CAD), computer-assisted manufacturing (CAM), computer numerical control (CNC) machines and other manufacturing processes and operations.
Industrial Engineering Technologists may specialize in the development of production processes, quality assurance programs, plans and schedules. In Canada’s oil and gas sector, they engineer processes and systems that improve quality and productivity which is key to keeping the industry competitive. They interact primarily with other technicians/technologists and Industrial Engineers.
Education: A post-secondary diploma in industrial engineering technology or a related discipline is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore environments and is typically employed in the exploration and production (E&P), oil sands, oil and gas services and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Computer Aided Design (CAD)/Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) Programmer, Loss Prevention Technologist, Manufacturing Technologist, Quality Assurance Technologist, Optimization Technologist
- Electrician/Electrical Technologist to Project Management
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths:
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- Natural gas pipeline construction
When the LNG industry takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Mild Physical Activity
Long Periods of Standing
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Non-residential and residential construction
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Rail Transportation
- Utilities, including renewables
- Wood product manufacturing
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary diploma
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body is required to use the title Professional Technologist.
- Certification in industrial engineering or manufacturing technology (or in a related field) is available through provincial or territorial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and may be required for some positions.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- The following are some examples of Health and Safety courses that may be required for this occupation:
- Standard and Emergency First Aid
- H2S Alive
- Fall protection
- Confined space entry
- Respirator fit testing