In response to a strong need for a credible and comprehensive source of Canadian petroleum industry career information, the Petroleum Labour Market Information (PetroLMI) Division of Enform created the Careers in Oil + Gas website. The site launched in November 2007. The development of the site was directed and funded by key stakeholders and is the result of the work and collaboration of eight key partners:
- Canadian Association of Geophysical Contractors (CAGC)
- Canadian Association of Oilwell Drilling Contractors (CAODC)
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
- Canadian Energy Pipelines Association (CEPA)
- Energy Safety Canada
- Government of Canada's Sectoral Initiatives Program
- Petroleum Services Association of Canada (PSAC)
- The Explorers and Producers Association of Canada (EPAC)
The Careers in Oil + Gas website provides information on the many career options and various aspects of working within the Canadian petroleum industry. More specifically, the website:
- Provides an overview of the Canadian oil and gas industry.
- Describes what it's like to work in the industry.
- Details the many career options available within the industry.
- Explores and compares the qualifications, skills, training and behaviours needed for hundreds of careers in the oil and gas industry.
- Explains how industry works closely with local communities and maintains an ongoing, strict focus on safety and the environment.
The petroleum industry is undergoing a structural shift due to lower oil and gas prices, which has resulted in a contraction in employment, reduced spending and a focus on productivity. Amid these economic and market changes, the industry is pursuing solutions to address an aging workforce, technological innovation and increasing competition for talent.
PetroLMI's mandate is to collaborate with industry, government, educators and training agencies to support and advance the development of a sustainable, skilled and productive workforce in the upstream and midstream sectors. PetroLMI specializes in providing petroleum labour market data and insights, as well as occupational tools and other resources for workforce and career planning.